A Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) is a Canadian investment that offers a guaranteed rate of return over a fixed period of time, most commonly issued by trust companies or banks. Moreover, as GICs fall under the term deposit umbrella, they are eligible for insurance by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). However, due to its low risk profile, the return is generally less than other investments such as stocks, bonds, or mutual funds. It is similar to a time or term deposit as known in other countries.
Given our wide scope of relationships with numerous Canadian Banks and Credit Unions, we can offer variable competitive rates on various terms to maturity (YTM).
Some common GICs we offer are variable rate GICs, whose payment is dependent on a fluctuating interest rate benchmark, and equity-linked GICs, whose payment stream is based on an underlying equity index.
Investor Rationale: The GIC is a popular tool for investors seeking safe and steady returns, regardless of market conditions.
Investor Profile: GICs are suitable for all investors seeking a safe and steady earnings stream.
- Backed by high-quality issuers – IE Canadian Banks
- Simple structure
- 100% Principal Protection if held to maturity
- Higher yield compared to Extendible Fixed Rate Notes because interest accrues
- Liquidity in daily secondary market subject to availability
- Reinvestment Risk
- Price Risk
- Credit Risk of issuer
- Funds might be locked in for set period of time (non-redeemable GICs)